Organizer: Karen Martino (Event Director)
Map: Edworthy Park
Learn more technical skills in the sport of Orienteering in a local city park.
- A 5 week program, one hour per week outdoor & active sessions.
- Led by Foothills Orienteering’s internationally experienced orienteers.
You can expect to come away with:
- Muddy shoes and a grin on your face!
- Learning to run with a map!
- Better navigation skills.
- A new life-long activity to share with friends and family.
This program is being offered Mondays, starting June 18, 2018: 6:15 - 7:30PM
These programs are for adults, regardless of fitness or experience who have completed Navigation 101 or have orienteered a little in the past and have a basic understanding of orienteering.
We think everyone should try this program and especially, if you:
- Tried the sport and would like to get better / faster;
- Enjoy running and like the added challenge of having to fin checkpoints on a map;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Love being outdoors in a park or in the woods.
Children under the age of 15 are encouraged to join our SOGO Adventure Running program which runs in the Spring (early April to mid-June) and in the Fall in various locations around Calgary - or if they have a friend in SOGO, they could ask about participating in the SOGO 'bring a friend' day in May.
Edworthy Park (see map below)
What should I bring?
The program is outside and it is active; you can choose to walk or run the courses. You can expect to be on and off trails. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty and don't mind if it gets snagged! If it's wet outside, you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional but not required and you can borrow one. Wear clothes suitable for the weather as we only stop for lightening! Bring something to drink and a snack. Bring something warm to wear at the end of the session.
Why should I sign up?
You should sign up for one of these programs for the following reasons:
- It will introduce you to a great new community of active outdoorsy people.
- It will start you on a lifetime of adventure.
- It is a fun way to spend 5 evenings, exploring one of Calgary’s parks from a different perspective.
How do I sign up?
If you have any questions about registration or any other aspect of these clinics, please contact Marsha at [email protected]