Foothills Orienteering (aka Foothills Wanderers Orienteering Club or FWOC) was founded in 1977 and provides orienteering events and training to people of all ages, identities, and abilities in Calgary and surrounding areas.
Stay informed on all club activities through our newsletter and Facebook page. Sign up now for our email newsletter.
Alberta public health and Orienteering Canada restrictions resulted in our cancelling many events this year, but our calendar is now getting a little busier as we reintroduce modified orienteering events. See our upcoming events on this page, read our Event Participation Requirements during pandemic, or check out some of our ideas for self-guided activities including our members-only GPS and Permanent courses.
Heard about orienteering but not really sure what it involves? We are happy to introduce our sport to anyone who would like to try orienteering. Read this primer, sign up for a membership, and come to an upcoming event in our calendar. We always have someone to explain the sport at each event, so just ask. You can also check out our resources tab for more information. Once the pandemic is over, we hope to offer a 90-minute Intro to Orienteering clinic and a 5-week Navigation 101 program,
Event Volunteers (no experience required):
Every event requires volunteers to help organize, plan the courses, take registrations, help with timing / results, or set out and pick up controls. We'll show you what to do - no prior knowledge needed. We need YOUR help! Please sign up to volunteer at the event whenever you register for an event on our calendar.
Course Planners & Event Organizers:
1. Sign up to organize or plan an event. Feel free to select a map and add your name as an event organizer.
2. Find additional info for Event Organizers at Volunteers/Event Organizing Tools and Info
SOGO Adventure Running is our fun outdoors program for children and youth aged 2 - 18. Programs run in the spring and fall for 10 weeks and are offered in several locations in Calgary, Bragg Creek, and Cochrane. Visit SOGO.run for more information.
Click here to purchase your 2021 Membership to participate in club activities between Jan 1st to Dec 31st, 2021.
- 2021 Adult Membership (21 years old or older): $10 + 1.80 credit card fee
- 2021 Youth Membership (6 to 20 years old): $10+ 1.80 credit card fee
- Child (up to 5 years old): free with an adult membership
Members living in the same household pay a maximum of $40 per household (plus credit card fee).
Your membership supports the Club and includes access to self-guided orienteering activities including GPS orienteering and permanent courses. Note: Participation in most organized Club events will require an additional fee or season's pass not included in the membership fee (check back later for fees and details).
Foothills Orienteering Club membership includes membership in the Alberta Orienteering Association (AOA), which in turn is a member of Orienteering Canada, a member of the International Orienteering Federation (IOF).
Safety and Waivers
- Read our orienteering safety recommendations.
- Complete our annual waiver for each participant (you have already done this if you purchased a membership for the current year).
- Submit a Daily Individual Covid-19 Declaration of Health form online (must be submitted for each event attendee on the day of an event).
The Youth program for FWOC is often hiring. See the SOGO.run website for more details.