Foothills Orienteering (aka Foothills Wanderers Orienteering Club or FWOC) was founded in 1977 and provides orienteering events and training to people of all ages, identities, and abilities in Calgary and surrounding areas.
At this time, Alberta Health, AOA, Orienteering Canada, and our insurance provider no longer require special Covid-19 measures. Please ensure you have all your recommended vaccinations and follow our event participation requirements including staying home if you are unwell and practicing good health hygiene.
Why just run? At our orienteering events, you can walk, jog, or race as fast as you can to checkpoints on a detailed forest, park, or urban street map. You choose your own route based on your speed and navigation skills. There are always options suitable for all ages and all levels from newcomers to internationally-ranked competitors.
A Foothills Wanderers Orienteering Club (FWOC) membership (valid Jan 1-Dec 31st) includes membership in the Alberta Orienteering Association (AOA), which in turn is a member of Orienteering Canada (OC), a member of the International Orienteering Federation (IOF). A current OC membership is required to participate in FWOC activities (event fees are extra). Please contact [email protected] with any questions. Age is calculated as of Dec 31 of the current year.
- 2023 Adult Membership (18+): $15 including tax and fees (note: anyone who buys a membership after Sep 30, 2022 will receive a $10 credit for the 2023 membership fees)
- 2023 Youth Membership (5 to 17 years old): $10 including tax and fees (75% discount with an adult membership)
- Child (up to 5 years old): free with an adult membership
- 2023 Family Membership: parents receive a 75% discount when registering their children (aged 5 - 17). For example, one parent and their 10 year old child would pay $12.50. A two parent family with three children bewteen the ages of 5 - 17 would pay $37.50.
Your membership supports adult and youth orienteering programs in Alberta and includes access to self-guided orienteering activities including GPS orienteering and permanent courses. Note: Participation in most organized Club events will require an additional event fee or season's pass not included in the membership fee. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
SOGO Adventure Running is our fun outdoors program for children and youth aged 2 - 18. Programs run in the spring and fall for 10 weeks and are offered in several locations in Calgary, Bragg Creek, and Cochrane. Visit SOGO.run for more information.
Every event requires volunteers to help organize, plan the courses, take registrations, help with timing / results, or set out and pick up controls. We'll show you what to do - no prior knowledge needed. We need YOUR help! Please sign up to volunteer at the event when you register for an event on our calendar or let an organizer know you want to help.
All volunteers need to complete the Alberta Orienteering Association (AOA) Youth/Adult Volunteer Agreement online (it just takes a few minutes).
For more information on volunteering or organizing an event click here.
- Read our orienteering safety recommendations.
- Follow our event participation requirements.
- If you are a member of another club, please complete our standalone annual online waiver/assumption of risk or contact the event organizer if you have already completed an Orienteering Canada waiver this year.
FWOC's youth adventure running program is often hiring. See the SOGO.run website for more details.
We use “cookies” and other web technologies to enable you to use our services. Read our Personal Information Protection Policy. We don't spam or sell personal information.