Organizer: Marion O (Event Director)
Map: Edworthy Park
Thank you to Marion for some fun courses. Thanks to volunteers: Carmie, Oleg, Marsha and Marion for control pick up.
This is the first event of the second half of the season. If you only purchased a First Half Pass, please remember to go and purchase the second half pass. Wednesday season pass holders and second half season pass holders will be sent an email Mondays giving them the details of the event.
Marion has planned 2 courses for Wednesday: Novice (2.3 km) and Advanced (5.6 km). Calgary RoadRunners wanting more info, please email Marion ( m 'dot' owen 001 'at' Gmail 'dot' com). Courses will be available from 6 pm onwards, with course closure at 8 pm.
The Wednesday Event Series runs from the end of April to October 6th, 24 events. You must have a FWOC membership to participate (or a membership in another Canadian orienteering club). We have decided to maintain the process we started in April because of COVID restrictions: that is, we are not accepting on-site registration. You have two options for Wednesday events: you can purchase either a half or full season. For the half season, we are offering a second half pass for July 21 to October 5, 2021.
Do not purchase a Season Pass for a youth already registered in a SOGO program for 2021, as all SOGO participants receive a complimentary Season Pass.
Full Season Pass: $50
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event April through October (~24 events). Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, etc, Forest Events).
Half-Season Pass: $30
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event for half the season (~12 events). You can choose which half you participate in. Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, etc, Forest Events).
If you plan to register for Navigation 101, only purchase the second half-season pass. The first half-season is included in the cost of the program.
The Wednesday night events will use a similar format to the winter TNTs:
- You can run anytime using the MapRun6 app and course.
- There will be pin flags in the terrain on the Wednesday from 2 - 8 pm. Do NOT touch the pin flags or control flags (as a COVID precaution).
- Beginners can come from 6:30 - 8 pm if they need some introduction / instruction in orienteering. Maps will be available for pick-up during this time. You must pre-register for the in-person time slot so we know how many maps to print.
- If you want to run earlier and would like to have a map printed for you, we will try to arrange that with the organizer.
Here is what you need to do as early as possible on the day of the event (but continue to monitor your health throughout the day and do not attend if you are feeling unwell):
- Submit a completed Individual Declaration of Health for each attendee (only valid for the day the form is submitted). You can also find this form on go.orienteeringcalgary.ca.
- Read the guidelines for participation in Foothills Orienteering Club Events during pandemic. Important points in these guidelines include:
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, stay home.
- Bring your own supplies including water as none will be provided.
- Follow the event organizer’s event specific rules and measures to reduce the risk of contacting or spreading Covid19.
- Remember that everyone sees the risks and rewards of outdoor sport during a pandemic differently, so please err on the side of caution and help ensure that everyone at the event (especially the general public) is comfortable with the measures you are taking to ensure physical distancing and personal hygiene.