Organizer: Damian Konotopetz (Coach)
Learn the basics of the sport of Orienteering in a local city park.
- A 5 week program, one hour per week outdoor & active sessions.
- Led by some of Foothills Orienteering’s internationally experienced orienteers.
You can expect to come away with:
- Muddy shoes and a grin on your face!
- Learning to run with a map!
- Better navigation skills.
- A new life-long activity to share with friends and family.
These programs are being offered twice:
- Mondays, starting April 3, 2017 with two sessions:
- 12:45 - 2:00PM
- 6:15 – 7:30PM
- Mondays, starting May 8, 6:15PM-7:30PM
These programs are for adults, regardless of fitness or experience.
We think everyone should try this program and especially, if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
Children under the age of 15 are encouraged to join our SOGO Adventure Running program which runs in the Spring (early April to mid-June) and in the Fall in various locations around Calgary - or if they have a friend in SOGO, they could ask about participating in the SOGO 'bring a friend' day in May.
Bowmont Park off of 85 St NW. (see map below)
What should I bring?
The program is outside and it is active; you can choose to walk or run the courses. You can expect to be on and off trails. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty and don't mind if it might get snagged! If it's wet outside, you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional but not required. Wear clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and a snack. Bring something warm to wear at the end of the session.
Why should I sign up?
You should sign up for one of these programs for the following reasons:
- It will introduce you to a great new community of active outdoorsy people.
- It will start you on a lifetime of adventure.
- It is a fun way to spend 5 afternoon or evenings, exploring one of Calgary’s parks from a different perspective.
How do I sign up?
If you have any questions about registration or any other aspect of these clinics, please contact Damian Konotopetz.