Organizer: Teresa (Event Director)
Thank you to Teresa for a fun course! and to Don for putting it on MapRun6. Course is identified for those who let me know:) If you think you ran a clean course (you got to all the controls) but Maprun6 shows you as mispunched, you can adjust your results in the app under Review results (HITMO).
If you want to view the animations of the results, click on the course link: Advanced/Intermediate
Try-It Event Cancelled
In-person portion cancelled.
Independent, self-guided courses will still be available on the MapRun6 app.
Details will be emailed to Wednesday Season Passholders.
FOR REGULAR CLUB MEMBERS:
The Wednesday Event Series runs from the end of April to October 6th, 24 events.
This year, in order to run the Wednesday Event Series safely and smoothly, there are 2 mandatory requirements for all participants:
- FWOC membership: You must have a FWOC membership to participate.
- Wednesday Event Pass: You must pre-register by purchasing either a Full Season or Half Season pass before attending your first Wednesday event.
You can accomplish BOTH these requirements on the same Zone 4 website “2021 FWOC Membership and Program Registration”.
We are not accepting any on-site Wednesday registration because of COVID restrictions. Pre-registration for Wednesday events is mandatory. You must pre-register by purchasing either a half or full season Wednesday pass (link above). We are offering two Half Season Passes: First Half Pass, for April 28 to July 14, 2021 OR Second Half Pass from July 21 to October 5, 2021. If you sign up part way through the season, you have to pay the full cost; we have kept it low for this reason.
Do not purchase a Season Pass for a youth already registered in a SOGO program for 2021, as all SOGO participants receive a complimentary Season Pass.
Full Season Pass: $50 (link above)
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event April through October (~24 events). Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, Forest Events). When you register on Zone 4 (link above), if you are already a 2021 member, click "no" to buy a membership and continue on in the registration form.
Half-Season Pass: $30 (link above)
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event for half the season (~12 events). You can choose which half you participate in: First Half Pass or Second Half Pass. Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, Forest Events). When you register on Zone 4 (link above), if you are already a 2021 member, click "no" to buy a membership and continue on in the registration form.
If you register for Navigation 101, do NOT purchase First Half Pass as this is included in the cost of the program. Consider purchasing the Second Half Pass if you want to orienteer for the full season.
The Wednesday night events will use a similar format to the winter TNTs:
- You can run anytime using the MapRun6 app and course.
- There will be pin flags in the terrain for the intermediate/advanced course on the Wednesday from 2 - 8 pm. Do NOT touch the pin flags (or control flags) (as a COVID precaution). You will have a pdf of the map emailed to you if you would like to run between 2 - 6:30 pm.
- The Beginners' course will be set up from 6:30 - 8 pm; the organizer or a volunteer will be available to provide an introduction or instruction in orienteering as needed. Maps will be available for pick-up during this time. If you have never orienteered, sign up for the free Try-It event; Try It events will be offered the second, third and fourth Wednesday nights. You must pre-register for the in-person time slot with a limit of 9 people per 20 minutes for both the Try-It event and the regular beginner course.
- If you want to run earlier and would like to have a map printed for you, we will try to arrange that with the organizer.
Here is what you need to do to participate in any Foothills Orienteering Club event
Once per Year
- Each participant must purchase a 2021 Foothills Orienteering membership (including each member of a family orienteering together).
- Submit our new annual online waiver here. If you have submitted the new waiver, you will have received an email from Zone4 with subject "Registration Receipt for FWOC/SOGO Orienteering Canada Waivers".
- Purchase a half or full season Wednesday pass (described above).
The Tuesday before the event
Sign up in advance for one of the courses; each week, you will be emailed a google doc to complete.
Here is what you need to do as early as possible on the day of the event (but continue to monitor your health throughout the day and do not attend if you are feeling unwell):
- Submit a completed Individual Declaration of Health for each attendee (only valid for the day the form is submitted). You can also find this form on go.orienteeringcalgary.ca.
- Read the guidelines for participation in Foothills Orienteering Club Events during pandemic. Important points in these guidelines include:
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, stay home.
- Practice physical and social distancing including 2m separation from people not within your family or cohort.
- Bring your own supplies including water as none will be provided.
- Consider wearing a mask when not out on course.
- Eliminate contact with communal surfaces at the start and finish areas.
- Do not touch orienteering flags or ribbons.
- If using a SI finger stick, place it carefully without touching the unit.
- Please be sure to follow basic personal hygiene rules and wash/sanitize your hands before and after being on a course.
- Follow the event organizer’s event specific rules and measures to reduce the risk of contacting or spreading Covid19.
- Prepare to bring your own hand sanitizer to the event and consider wearing a mask when not on course to protect yourself and others. You will not be able to register for SI Courses or purchase Foothills Orienteering memberships at this event. We will provide course maps and SI finger sticks to registrants if you are not able to bring your own. We will have some sanitizing and personal protective equipment for our volunteers to use as needed, but please bring your own sanitizer, mask, water, and any other equipment you feel would be helpful to protect yourself and others.
- Remember that everyone sees the risks and rewards of outdoor sport during a pandemic differently, so please err on the side of caution and help ensure that everyone at the event (especially the general public) is comfortable with the measures you are taking to ensure physical distancing and personal hygiene.