Navigation 101 - Learn to Orienteer - Week 2 @ Carburn Park Training
May 31st 2023 5:00pm - 6:15pm
Organizers: Marsha Fehr (Coach), Kitty Jones (Coach)
Map: Carburn Park
Improve your orienteering skills in parks around the city.
- A 4 week program, 75 minutes per week outdoor & active sessions.
- Led by Foothills Orienteering’s internationally experienced orienteers.
Whether you run or walk, you can expect to come away with:
- Muddy shoes and a grin on your face!
- Learning to run with a map!
- Better navigation skills.
- A new life-long activity to share with friends and family.
The Nav 101 program is a series of 4 sessions being offered on:
- Wednesdays, May 24 - June 14, 5:15 - 6:30PM
These programs are for adults, regardless of fitness or experience, who have run a beginner course a few times. You understand what to do but want to really improve how you do it!
We think everyone should join this program and especially, if you:
- Have tried the Try-It sessions (in April or when they were offered in the fall) and really enjoyed them.
- Did the TNTs this winter and want to improve your orienteering skills;
- Enjoy running or walking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking as you move;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love walkign or running outdoors or in the woods.
Children under the age of 15 are encouraged to join our SOGO Adventure Running program which runs in the Spring (early April to mid-June) and in the Fall in various locations around Calgary.
Parks around the city, starting in Edworthy Park (map below)
What should I bring?
The program is outside and it is active; you can choose to walk or run the courses. You can expect to be on and off trails. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty and don't mind if it might get snagged! If it's wet outside, you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional but not required. Wear clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and a snack. Bring something warm to wear at the end of the session.
Why should I sign up?
You should sign up because:
- It will introduce you to a great new community of active outdoorsy people.
- It will start you on a lifetime of adventure.
- It is a fun way to spend 4 evenings, exploring Calgary’s parks from a different perspective.
- It will provide specific techniques to improve your orienteering.
How do I sign up?
You must be a member of FWOC (Foothills Wanderers Orienteering Club); your Nav 101 registration will link you to the FWOC membership registration. Registration starts March 31.
If you have any questions about registration or any other aspect of these programs, please contact Marsha at [email protected].