Thank you to the organizers, Teresa and Marsha, and Don B, who picked up the advanced course.
Lots of people made it out during the cool of the two mornings! Send me your results if you don't see them here:
The Wednesday Event Series runs from the end of April to October 6th, 24 events. You must have a FWOC membership to participate. Because of COVID restrictions, we are not accepting on-site registration. You have two options for Wednesday events: you can purchase either a half or full season. For the half season, we are offering a pass for April 28 to July 14, 2021 OR from July 21 to October 5, 2021.
Do not purchase a Season Pass for a youth already registered in a SOGO program for 2021, as all SOGO participants receive a complimentary Season Pass.
Full Season Pass: $50
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event April through October (~24 events). Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, etc, Forest Events).
Half-Season Pass: $30
This entitles you to a free map at each Wednesday Event for half the season (~12 events). You can choose which half you participate in. Special events will have an additional fee (Solstice BBQ, Spook-O, etc, Forest Events).
If you plan to register for Navigation 101, only purchase the second half-season pass. The first half-season is included in the cost of the program.
The Wednesday night events will use a similar format to the winter TNTs:
- You can run anytime using the MapRun6 app and course.
- There will be pin flags in the terrain on the Wednesday from 9am - 10am Thursday. Do NOT touch the pin flags or control flags (as a COVID precaution).
Beginners can come from 6:30 - 8 pm if they need some introduction / instruction in orienteering. Try It events will be offered the first 3 nights. Maps will be available for pick-up during this time. You must pre-register for the in-person time slot with a limit of 10 people per 20 minutes.
- If you want to run earlier and would like to have a map printed for you, we will try to arrange that with the organizer.
Here is what you need to do to once per year to participate in any Foothills Orienteering Club event:
- Each participant must purchase a 2021 Foothills Orienteering membership (including each member of a family orienteering together).
- Submit our new annual online waiver here. If you have submitted the new waiver, you will have received an email from Zone4 with subject "Registration Receipt for FWOC/SOGO Orienteering Canada Waivers".
Here is what you need to do before SI course registration closes 9am on the day BEFORE the event:
- Pre-register for one of the courses using the instructions in the email.
Here is what you need to do as early as possible on the day of the event (but continue to monitor your health throughout the day and do not attend if you are feeling unwell):
- Submit a completed Individual Declaration of Health for each attendee (only valid for the day the form is submitted). You can also find this form on go.orienteeringcalgary.ca.
- Read the guidelines for participation in Foothills Orienteering Club Events during pandemic. Important points in these guidelines include:
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, stay home.
- Practice physical and social distancing including 2m separation from people not within your family or cohort.
- Bring your own supplies including water as none will be provided.
- Consider wearing a mask when not out on course.
- Eliminate contact with communal surfaces at the start and finish areas.
- Do not touch orienteering flags or ribbons.
- If using a SI finger stick, place it carefully without touching the unit.
- Please be sure to follow basic personal hygiene rules and wash/sanitize your hands before and after being on a course.
- Follow the event organizer’s event specific rules and measures to reduce the risk of contacting or spreading Covid19.
- Prepare to bring your own hand sanitizer to the event and consider wearing a mask when not on course to protect yourself and others. You will not be able to register for SI Courses or purchase Foothills Orienteering memberships at this event. We will provide course maps and SI finger sticks to registrants if you are not able to bring your own. We will have some sanitizing and personal protective equipment for our volunteers to use as needed, but please bring your own sanitizer, mask, water, and any other equipment you feel would be helpful to protect yourself and others.
- Remember that everyone sees the risks and rewards of outdoor sport during a pandemic differently, so please err on the side of caution and help ensure that everyone at the event (especially the general public) is comfortable with the measures you are taking to ensure physical distancing and personal hygiene.