Organizer: Don Bayly (Event Director)
Thank you to Don B for a fun course:)
Varsity Fire Hydrant O, Tuesday Jan. 24 to Wednesday Jan. 25
- START: The start is at the west end of Blakiston Park, close to the Brentwood C-Train Station. So, you could travel to the event by C-Train.
- Parking: There is free parking along Blakiston Drive NW. A two hour time limit applies between 7 AM and 5 PM. Also there are a few loading zones to avoid.
- Control markers: The start, finish and all controls are fire hydrants. It's a regular point to point course with 10 controls. Straight line distance is 5.0 km.
- Course NOTES:
- The course goes through the University Research Park, the Varsity residential area and some small parks.
- It's a NEW map at a scale of 1:10,000. Terrain is fairly flat. The map does not classify vegetation. It will not have contours but will use a hill shaded background image to show the small terrain features.
- Most sidewalks beside streets are not shown. Pathways and back alleys are shown.
- Fences with crossing points are mapped where it is important for route choices.
- On the first leg, the course planner recommends crossing Crowchild Trail by the C-Train bridge. Theoretically you could take Brisebois Drive under Crowchild Trail, but that involves a couple of busy road crossings and a possible wait at a traffic light.
- There are numerous road crossings throughout the course, some on quiet streets, some with obvious crosswalks, and there is a four way stop intersection.
- FINISH: The finish is about 250m SE of the C-Train bridge.
- SOCIAL: No social is planned. (But have you tried Wami Ootoya Japanese Cuisine in the University City Yellow building?)
I will post an update on the snow and ice conditions closer to the event.
FWOC is offering TNTs (winter orienteering training) again this year. You must be a member of FWOC (or another Canadian orienteering club - OC Member) to participate.
- Days of the week. 2022-2023 TNTs will usually run on both Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. Pin flags will be set out for the duration of the event. Thus, participants who would prefer to run during the day can run Wednesday morning or afternoon:) NOTE: The organizer has the option of making their event a weekend event.
- Social Option. The organizer has the option of hosting a social gathering during the event, usually either Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening. Details for this will be on the webpage and in the email to participants.
- Family Pricing Option: To encourage families to participate (especially in this time of increasing costs), FWOC has decided to provide a family pricing option (for two or more members of a family who live in the same household) for the series of TNTs. This pricing option is still being configured in Interpodia. Stay tuned.
Same as last year:
- You need to register (and pay) in advance on-line. Registration link will be available soon.
- The minimum number of events is 10 and we hope to offer up to 15. You can participate in as many as you like. Even if you only get to 5 events, it's a pretty good deal!
- All events will be put on Maprun6 so you can go any day after the start of the event (up to a year).
- The location, PDF of the map, and maprun6 details will be sent via email to all registered participants.
- If you need a map printed for you, please let us know.