Organizer: Marion O (Event Director)
Wednesday update: for some reason the courses have disappeared and I can't make them re-appear! So I will just print hopefully plenty of maps!
UPDATE! The ice should be buried under this dump of white stuff! However, I won't be putting out the pin flags until Wednesday afternoon (I think they would disappear if I put them out today!) Also, some of the controls are fire hydrants. If the code is 'F' with a number, that is a fire hydrant and there won't be a pin flag there. It's going to be cold tomorrow, so dress appropriately! Note that there is a closed trail on the bluff due to the risk of subsidence, and I have marked it out of bounds on the map. Please avoid that whole area.
If you are coming to Gord's, please sign up for your choice of course (you can sign up for more than one!) so I know how many maps to print. The maps should be at Gord's by 5:30pm on Wednesday.
Join us for the Fifth Annual Club Night on Feb 22 at Gord's Running Store! Gord's is at 919 Centre Street NW. This is always a fun night - nice course, a little chitchat, a little shopping as well as chances to win some gear :) Gord has supported orienteering for many years and usually offers prizes on club nights. in 2019, Marsha won a Suunto watch! Both Salomon and IceBug are confirmed and will have their test fleets of shoes for people to try out. They should be at the store by 5:30 pm. There will be a short course on the escarpment where you can try out the spikes! As well as a longer course.
Gord says there will be some post-run hydration. And there will be a Club Night discount of 25% off in-stock regular-priced inventory not including electronics (watches, and heart rate monitors).
For parking at Gord's, participants can find extra parking across 9th Ave at the Auto Select lot after 6pm (they're closed in the evenings), along 1st Street NW, or on 2nd Street NW between the high school and Crescent Road NW.
This event is open to all FWOC current members. If you haven't signed up for the TNTs, pay $2 in cash on the night!
If you are not a 2023 member, the link is on the main page at orienteeringcalgary.ca.
FWOC is offering TNTs (winter orienteering training) again this year. You must be a member of FWOC (or another Canadian orienteering club - OC Member) to participate.
- Days of the week. 2022-2023 TNTs will usually run on both Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. Pin flags will be set out for the duration of the event. Thus, participants who would prefer to run during the day can run Wednesday morning or afternoon:) NOTE: The organizer has the option of making their event a weekend event.
- Social Option. The organizer has the option of hosting a social gathering during the event, usually either Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening. Details for this will be on the webpage and in the email to participants.
- Family Pricing Option: To encourage families to participate (especially in this time of increasing costs), FWOC has decided to provide a family pricing option (for two or more members of a family who live in the same household) for the series of TNTs. This pricing option is still being configured in Interpodia. Stay tuned.
Same as last year:
- You need to register (and pay) in advance on-line. Registration link will be available soon.
- The minimum number of events is 10 and we hope to offer up to 15. You can participate in as many as you like. Even if you only get to 5 events, it's a pretty good deal!
- All events will be put on Maprun6 so you can go any day after the start of the event (up to a year).
- The location, PDF of the map, and maprun6 details will be sent via email to all registered participants.
- If you need a map printed for you, please let us know.