WEO #5 - Edworthy Park - Results! Wednesday Evening series
May 24th 2023 6:30pm - 8:00pm
Organizers: Marsha Fehr (Event Director), Bogi Gyorfi (Host)
Map: Edworthy Park
Thank you to the amazing volunteers who made this event happen: Course planner, Marsha; Try-It Organizer, Bogi; Control placement: Kitty, Marsha and Christin; Registration, Christin; Timing, Teresa, Tim; Control Pick-up, Geoff, Ian, Matt, Jiri, Ewan, Tori and Oleg.
Regular FWOC members, please use the registration button on the side to sign up for individual events. Or purchase the WEO Season Pass (information on the home page).
Free TRY- IT participants - register here
For new participants register here
We need to know how many maps to print and you can sign the online waiver.
After you signed up at this Google form you will receive an email a day before the event to remind you of the start location. The location also can be seen on the map below.
(For one free Try-It event, you don't need to sign up for the Regular registration, but if you decide to come back for more sessions, you will need to join the FWOC Club or pay for a single drop-in fee.)
What to expect?
- You will receive a brief instruction.
- You can try a couple of learning activities
- You will get a map and head out for a self-lead map walk/ run to try a beginner-orienteering course. All of this would take around 1 hour.
Score-O + Regular Beginner's Course
This week's event will include long and short score-O options for Intermediate and Advanced orienteers. Challenge yourself to get all the controls! The winner is the person who collects the most points in the shortest amount of time! Points are indicated in the (_) next to the control number; 36(10) means control 36 will give you 10 points. Plan your route to take advantage of the higher counting controls. There is also a regular beginner course (line or point-to-point) where you collect controls in the order in which they are numbered.
- The train tracks are off-limits; you can get a $600 fine if you are caught even crossing them.
- There are lots of extra trails that are not mapped.
- The Long course makes full use of all the terrain on the south side of the tracks so you expect a good run should you choose to take it on. There are 28 controls available to collect.
- The Short Score-O hits the east and west sides of the map and goes up the big hill. How far you go (and how many controls you collect) is up to you. There are 20 controls on the Short map.
- The Beginner Course will tour Edworthy Park on the north side of the tracks (2.3km and no hill).
- There are lots of other park users; please be mindful of them.
- There are lots of dogs and their walkers on the top of the hill!
- There will be no maprun course this week.
- There is a one hour time limit for the Score-Os from the time you start; if you start after 7pm, you still must be back by 8pm.
- Planning time is included in your race time. Punch "start" before you look at your map.
2023 Wednesday Evening Orienteering (WEO) Series
- Regular orienteering on Wednesday evenings - this means in-person with control flags and SI units in the terrain from 6:30-8pm on the day of the event.
- You will need an SI stick; you can borrow one from the club on the night of the event if you do not own one.
- You will have to pre-register for the events.
- You can pay for each session separately
- You can sign up for the series and get a discount
- The last day to register for each Wednesday event is the Monday evening before it to guarantee we have a map printed for you.
- You will need to be a 2023 member of Foothills Orienteering (FWOC), a 2023 member of another Canadian orienteering club, or purchase a “day of the event membership”.
- We will be using Maprun6 so, if you registered for the event, you can run anytime if you do not want to run on the evening of the event.
- There will be about 20 Wednesday Evenings in the series.
NOTE: After having registered for an event, you can make changes to your course selection on the Interpodia website. Login. Go to "Event Registrations" section in the menu on the left side of the screen. Click on the “Manage” button on the event you want to revise. Click view/edit registration. Click on the edit button on Course Selection. Revise your selection there; for example, if you won't be able to attend unexpectedly, you can choose to get a map PDF instead.