Organizer: Oleg Tabelev (Event Director)
Thank you to Oleg for a fun run!
My "heart" was a little wonky but we enjoyed the run and the social!
Unlike octopi, humans only have one heart. Take good care of it.
February is Heart Month, time to raise awareness about the importance of cardiovascular health and an opportunity to focus on what we can do to improve our heart health - Message from the Minister of Health and Minister of Sport and Physical Activity.
UPDATE: I have not been able to georeference the Edgemont map - sorry! Thus no MapRun is available, and the event will be old school (i.e. run with a paper may in hand, and submit your results to the "events" email address).
I am not sure about others, but I do a lot of cardio, mostly running; I would like to invite you to join me in that supposedly healthy habit, and run - jog - walk the Edgemont Heart city orienteering course.
It is a simple course, without much elevation, and few route choices; however, there are two crossings of potentially busy Edgemont Blvd (cross only at traffic lights/marked crosswalks) and a number of quieter residential streets. Wear reflective clothing and maybe a headlamp if running in the dark. While most of sidewalks are cleared, there is still a lot of ice in alleys and on pathways - wear adequate shoes. There may be snow on ground after this weekend (thanks, Ullr, for listening to my snow payers), and ice underneath.
Other than Start/Finish, all controls are Fire Hydrants, and there won't be pin flags at them. Start location is in the participant email.
Street parking, or there is ample parking at the Friends Cafe a block North from the school. Some parking at the school if doing the course after hours.
As I live far from Edgemont, I won't hold a social for this event... Next time maybe.
FWOC is offering TNTs (Toques and Training Series) again this year. You must be a current member of FWOC (or another Canadian orienteering club - OC Member) to participate. You only have to pay once through Interpodia / 2M, and you will be sent participant information including exact location each week.
- Days of the week. 2023-2024 TNTs will usually run on both Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. Pin flags will be set out for the duration of the event (from Tuesday at 6pm to Wednesday at 8pm). Thus, participants who would prefer to run during the day can run Wednesday morning or afternoon. NOTE: The organizer has the option of making their event a weekend event.
- Social Option. The organizer may host a social gathering during the event, usually either Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening. Details for this will be on the webpage and in the email to participants. The Social could be at the organizer's house or at a nearby cafe or pub.
- Family Pricing Option: To encourage families to participate, FWOC is planning to provide a family pricing option (save 40% for two or more members of a family who live in the same household) for the series of TNTs.
- Cost: $20 / person for the series (or family pricing option for family members in the same household).
- You need to register (and pay) in advance online. Registration link will be available soon.
- The minimum number of events is 10, and we hope to offer up to 15. You can participate in as many as you like. Even if you only get to 5 events, it's a pretty good deal!
- All events will be put on Maprun6 so you can go any day after the start of the event (up to a year).
- The location, PDF of the map, and maprun6 details will be sent via email to all registered participants.
- If you need a map printed for you, please let us know.
- In the new year, you will need to purchase your club membership for 2024 to continue to participate.