Organizer: Don Bayly (Event Director)
The organizer is planning a new challenge for us this week with a non-standard map of Nose Hill. It is Don B, though, so rest assured the map will be accurate! It just may not to show all the details to add that extra challenge:)
The course starts near the Nose Hill Brisebois parking lot. Maps will be in a plastic bag taped to the back of the garbage bin at the parking lot NE corner, (if the tape sticks and no one removes the bag). The start is on the north side of a copse about 90 m NE of the parking lot, and will have a regular orienteering marker, All other controls and the finish will just have pin flags
The map is at a scale of 1:7500 with 2.5 m contours. The background image is a laser intensity plot, something like a black and white air photo. The darkest areas are forest. Shrubs and small trees are medium gray blobs or dots. Paved pathways show up as thin medium gray lines. Unpaved paths are light gray to white and are very to distinguish from the background. The pond in the east part of the gravel pit is shown in blue. Recommended navigation techniques are map reading of contours and vegetation, plus compass bearings and pace counting. Although you can't see most of the trails on the map, you will often find them going in convenient directions
Shoes with spikes are recommended due to ice on the trails. There are 9 controls and the course length is 4.7 km. You could cut the length to 3.6 km by leaving out controls 3 and 4.
Animals often seen on Nose Hill include dogs, deer, coyotes and porcupines.
No social has been planned.
FWOC is offering TNTs (Toques and Training Series) again this year. You must be a current member of FWOC (or another Canadian orienteering club - COC Member) to participate. You only have to pay once through Interpodia / 2M, and you will be sent participant information including exact location each week.
- Days of the week. 2023-2024 TNTs will usually run on both Tuesday and Wednesday evening from 6 pm to 8 pm. Pin flags will be set out for the duration of the event (from Tuesday at 6pm to Wednesday at 8pm). Thus, participants who would prefer to run during the day can run Wednesday morning or afternoon. NOTE: The organizer has the option of making their event a weekend event.
- Social Option. The organizer may host a social gathering during the event, usually either Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening. Details for this will be on the webpage and in the email to participants. The Social could be at the organizer's house or at a nearby cafe or pub.
- Family Pricing Option: To encourage families to participate, FWOC is planning to provide a family pricing option (save 40% for two or more members of a family who live in the same household) for the series of TNTs.
- Cost: $20 / person for the series (or family pricing option for family members in the same household).
- You need to register (and pay) in advance online. Registration link will be available soon.
- The minimum number of events is 10, and we hope to offer up to 15. You can participate in as many as you like. Even if you only get to 5 events, it's a pretty good deal!
- All events will be put on Maprun6 so you can go any day after the start of the event (up to a year).
- The location, PDF of the map, and maprun6 details will be sent via email to all registered participants.
- If you need a map printed for you, please let us know.
- In the new year, you will need to purchase your club membership for 2024 to continue to participate.