Quickly learn the basics of the sport of Orienteering in a local city park.
- A 1.5 to 2 hour outdoor & active clinic
- Led by some of Foothills Orienteering’s internationally experienced orienteers.
You can expect to come away with:
- Muddy shoes and a grin on your face!
- Completing your first orienteering course!
- Better map reading skills (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- A new life-long activity to share with friends and family;
When and Where?
Our next clinics are being offered at the following times in the following locations. Click on each date / location for specific details.
- April 30, 2019 at Confederation Park
- June 2019 - Trails Fest at Canmore Nordic Centre (free, sign up with Trails Fest, Date TBA)
These clinics are for everyone, regardless of fitness or experience. They are designed for adults but are open to everyone. You will do the clinic in small groups of two or three so we encourage you to bring friends or family.
We think everyone should try these clinics and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don't enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better;
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
Children under the age of 15 are encouraged to join our SOGO Adventure Running program which runs in the Spring (early April to mid-June) and in the Fall in various locations around Calgary - or if they have a friend in SOGO they could ask about participating in the SOGO 'bring a friend' day in May.
What should I bring?
The clinic is outside and it is active, beginning with walking moving to a medium intensity running/jogging by the end. You can expect to be on and off trails. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty and don't mind if it might get snagged! If it's wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional but not required. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active for up to two hours and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks. Bring warm change of clothes for after the clinic.
Why should I sign up?
You should sign up for one of these clinics for the following reasons:
- It will introduce you to a great new community of active outdoorsy people.
- It will start you on a lifetime of adventure.
- It is a fun morning or afternoon exploring one of Calgary’s parks.
How do I sign up?
Registration must be done in advance online via the button below.
- Adults (21+) - $20.00 *
- Youth (15-20) - $15.00 *
If you have any questions about registration or any other aspect of these clinics please contact Marsha at info@orienteering calgary.ca.