Dear Foothills Orienteering Community,
Given the state of COVID-19 in Alberta (the Alberta government declared a public health emergency on March 17) and with confidence that most of you are doing your best to limit your contact with other people, Foothill Wanderers Orienteering Club, in conjunction with the Alberta Orienteering Association and the International Orienteering Federation, has decided to cancel or postpone all club events until further notice.
Update: the City of Calgary has posted guidelines for using city parks including avoiding driving to a park.
At this point we can say the following:
- We recognize that getting outdoors and in the woods can be very beneficial for physical and mental health, both of which are very important at this time. Many of our volunteers are hard at work coming up with orienteering activities that you can do on your own while maintaining social distance. We hope to post some “safe” orienteering activities on the FWOC Facebook page and the OrienteeringCalgary.ca website soon.
- While we have cancelled the events in April and May, FWOC will monitor the evolution of this public health emergency in Alberta.Should the situation improve, we will consider reinstating events.
- We have decided to postpone the Forest Training sessions scheduled for the spring; we hope to host them in the summer.
- Navigation 101 /201 have been cancelled.If you registered for Nav 101 / 201, you will get a full refund. Again we will monitor the COVID-19 pandemic. We would like to support skill development and will endeavour to provide some orienteering training opportunities in the late spring or summer should the situation improve. Stay tuned.
- We will try our best to make sure season pass holders get full value from their passes as the schedule for our club events unfolds.
- The Spring Session of FWOC’s junior program, SOGO Adventure Running, has been cancelled. Check the SOGO.run website for details.
- A meeting regarding the next steps for the 2020 WCOCs and the 2020 COCs will be held. Please check the CROF 2020 website for updates.
- We will be doing our best to communicate on a regular timely basis as the situation and our plan evolves. Watch our website and Facebook for updates. If you have any questions, you can contact Marsha at [email protected] who is handling the COVID-19 communications for FWOC.
Stay healthy, stay safe.