What is on our members-only pages?
The Foothills Orienteering members-only pages currently contain GPS Orienteering instructions and local courses for self-led orienteering training as well as copies of our online waivers.
What is GPS Orienteering?
GPS Orienteering is like regular orienteering, except it is unsupervised and there are no control flags put out. Instead, your smartphone app* will beep when you've navigated to the correct control location on your digital or printed map. You can also print or download many of the maps for training with or without the GPS orienteering software. Since these are unsupervised activities, remember that you are solely responsible for your safety and for following all current health and safety guidelines and regulations.
* the free GPS Orienteering app we use is currently available for Android devices only, but an iPhone version is planned for later this year. iPhone or Android users could also create their own courses using a different app called MapRunF. Some clubs such as GVOC use MapRunF, but FWOC has no immediate plans to create courses using MapRunF due to the ease of course creation and other capabilities of the GPS Orienteering app even though it is Android-only at this time. If you do create local courses with MapRunF, let us know and we will be happy to share the information.
How do I get access to the members-only pages?
Our insurance policy requires that everyone participating in our sanctioned orienteering activities must be a current member and must sign our waiver. The waiver explains the risks involved and requires you to agree to our terms in regards to release of liability, waiver of claims, and assumption of risks. Note: Employees, Volunteers, and Directors are only covered by our insurance with respect to their assigned duties, so they must also be members of the club and sign our waiver in order to participate in Club orienteering activities outside the scope of their assigned duties.
Tip: You will need to know your Google Account username and password to sign in. Google Account usernames include @orienteeringcalgary.ca email addresses, @gmail.com email addresses, or any other email address that you have used to sign up for a Google Account. If you don't have one yet, you can sign up for a Google Account without Gmail using an existing email address or sign up for a Gmail email account. If you need to recover your Google account username or password, click here.
- If you are not a Foothills Orienteering Club member for the current year, purchase an annual membership for each person who will be participating. Note: SOGO program registrations include a Club membership for the current year for the SOGO youth registered (or the adult and youth if registered for a parented program).
- Read our orienteering safety recommendations.
- Click here and complete our annual waiver for each participant. Note that to gain access, our separate online waver must be submitted for each participant individually, even if you agreed to similar terms during the membership or registration process.
- If you don't have a Google Account yet, see the tip above this list.
- Click here and request access here to our members-only pages for your Google Account. It may take a few days to receive a reply - we are busy volunteers.
How do I log in to the members-only pages?
Once your email address has been granted access (this may take a few days), use it to log in to our members-only pages at members.orienteeringcalgary.ca. If you need to recover your Google account username or password, click here.
Note: If you get an Error 404 message saying "The requested URL was not found on this server" it is because you tried to access the members site while only logged into a Google Account that does not yet have access permission. This can happen if you haven't been granted access yet (wait for the email confirmation) or if you are only logged in with a non-authorized Google Account. To fix this, go to account.google.com, click on the circle in the upper right corner and click on the account that we granted access to. If it is not listed, click on "Add another account". Enter the email address and password for the Google account that we granted access to. Then go to members.orienteeringcalgary.ca and select the authorized account.
If you have any questions or problems, please email tech @orienteeringcalgary.ca.